Tag Archives: blocking

Before, During and After in the Snow

I have a pretty finished project to show off today so this is a rather photo heavy post. The Kernel scarf I’ve been working on for the past week is finished, blocked and now draped around my neck! I really enjoyed the pattern, it’s very clearly written so anyone who can do basic lace stitches will be able to cope with this. The only mods I made were to cast on fewer stitches (39st) and do two extra repeats of the Kernel lace chart. I was concerned about yardage as I only had 360m (100g) of yarn but I finished with ~26g to spare (which will go into my sock blanket now!) :)

Pre-blocking, my ugly duckling measured 6″ wide and 45″ long:

DSC_1727

I didn’t block it too hard, I wanted to open up the lace but also ensure it had enough density to be warm. I blocked it out to 6.5″ wide and 67″ long:

DSC_1728

Then I had some fun with my camera. :)

DSC_1733

DSC_1732

It snowed a little last night and is still snowing on and off today but in between the showers it’s lovely and bright and I managed to get a couple of good pictures.

DSC_1745

Yes, I know. There’s no snow on the beach tree leaves, it had already melted by the time I got outside, but look here’s some snow!

DSC_1750

Finally, for those on Ravelry who are interested, my Ravelry project page is here.

The Result of Caving to Guilt Free Casting On

My plan to finish some WIP’s in January had a bit of a set back when I started on the Clothilde (Ravelry page here) shawl last week. I’d blame the ‘Guilt Free January’ thread on Ravelry for encouraging me to cast on without guilt at my number of WIP’s but it would be a bit unfair as it really didn’t take much encouragement at all. I bought the yarn a while ago and decided not too long after that it would be perfect for Clothilde so this project had been patiently waiting for too long anyway.

I really enjoyed the pattern, it was quick to knit and easily memorable (not to mention pretty). I was also impressed that the designer had gone to the effort of both charting and writing out the lace pattern. It’s not something that is done all that often these days and although I now find charts easier to use than written instructions I know there will be plenty of people who will appreciate them.

Now for the pictures!

Caramel

The yarn (YarnAddict Yarns Superwash Merino in Caramel) was a joy to work with, so soft and with a beautiful variation in the colour too. I’m thinking the left over yarn might be used for contrasting cuff and heels in a pair of socks, maybe with a nice dark chocolate colour… caramel and chocolate without the calories? Gotta be a winner! :)

clothilde flat

When I added my project to Ravelry I made a note about how I hoped I would have enough yarn to do an extra repeat of the edge lace. I was happy to muddle through with lifelines and see what I could get out of the yarn but I’d barely done one repeat before I received a comment from the designer that I should be fine as her original gauge was very different compared to other yarns used. Brilliant! I love how Ravelry lets you connect with designers and vice versa!

After 4 repeats of the Gull Wing Lace and 3 repeats of the Spearhead Lace, it grew into this:

Before Blocking

Which blocked out into this:

Fully Blocked

So pretty!

Detail

DIY Sock Blockers

Socks don’t really need blocking. That’s what feet are for. However, few socks will need it, especially lace ones and if something squiffy happened while being knit that needs to be straightened out via blocking. Sock blockers aren’t too expensive, I’ve seen some at £14 and for a pair of lovely wooden blockers that’s a good price. My problem is that my budget isn’t grand and I could also spend that £14 on yarn and when the choice is between blockers that I can manage without and yarn well, yarn will win every time!

Now, however, I won’t need to manage without or buy less yarn!

I made my DIY Sock Blockers using the instructions found at CyberSeams: How to Make Your Own Sock Blockers.

DIY Sock Blocker

Foam sheets are recommended, however, I was foamless so I used cardboard (but I figure with enough cling film they too will be waterproof enough for damp socks). There are templates for a variety of different sizes and handy lines to indicate where you can either lengthen or shorten the blockers (mine are lengthened to 10″ which is why they look a little long in the picture!). Despite the range of diameters I still had to adjust the diameter slightly to get the perfect fit for my socks but that was easily done.

All I need do is finish the sock below and I can take my blockers on a test run. :)

Sock In Progress